10.16.2010

Serenity Prayer

So the budget plan is out. Many comments and complains are flying around as usual, some praising but mostly criticizing on what should have been done and what shouldn't have; how would our prime minister build his iconic 100-floor sky-scraper that would rival even the twin towers and how that building is going to be used, (People have come up with some interesting theories about that on Facebook, and some of them are quite entertaining.) blah blah blah...

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm not concern about our country's finances and economy, I am. I earn wages now and have to pay my taxes, so of course I wanna know where that money goes to! But complaining and commenting on what's been done and cannot be undone isn't going to help.

I've mentioned before that the series season is back, and these series have been keeping me occupied. I like to think that watching these episodes isn't just a waste of time, but is in fact an enriching exercise for my soul. Of course, not all of them promote good and uplifting ideas, but some do. There's a particular quote from the first episode of season 5's  "Brothers and Sisters" that I like. It's actually the first part from the Serenity Prayer,  and it goes like this:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." 
--Reinhold Niebuhr

Wise prayer eh? Perhaps we should be focusing more on the things we can change. And pray we have the courage to change them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment