10.06.2010

The day the sun stood still

I came back home, swamped from a good day's work, and fell flat on the sofa. As I lay there, a random thought crossed my mind: Is it true that the sun stood still for a day? I didn't know why i would be thinking such things, but i did. Then i remembered that some time ago I was told that NASA made this discovery and proved that there was one missing day according to some calculations that they were doing. But busy me at that time just took it for word and never bothered checking it out to see if it were true. Then another question crossed my mind: If it were true that the sun stood still for a day for Joshua in the Bible, surely, the world at that time would have seen it and experienced it as well. Then surely those people would have recorded it down somewhere too coz let's face it, the sun stood still for a day? That's an amazing event! And if the sun stood still in one part of the earth, surely another part of the earth would have been night for a day! Ironic. Night for a day :P Anyway, if it were to happen now in our time, I think Facebook, Twitter, YM and MSN would explode!

The more I thought about it, the more curious I became and wondered why i never bothered checking out on such things when it has been staring me right in the face for so many years now. Suddenly my mom asked me: What are you doing? That sort of broke my thoughts and I realized that I had been lying on the sofa, flat on my tummy for about 10 minutes now. I just came back from work, my bag was lying on the floor, my water bottle was on the coffee table, I hadn't bothered to wash it yet. I shrugged, said a quick 'nothing!' and went to my room.

Determined to satisfy my curiosity once and for all, I Google-ed "sun stood still" and got about 2,420,000 hits. I scanned for NASA and found "truth or fiction - NASA and the missing day". Well, the truth is,the guy (Harold Hill) who claimed that NASA found computer generated evidence about the missing day IS a real person and claimed to be a consultant for NASA. But apart from Harold Hill, there is no other known source that backs the NASA story. In fact, NASA even denied that Harold Hill was one of their consultants! I was quite disappointed.

Going back to Google Search, I clicked on another site. If the sun did stood still, surely others would have seen and wrote about it? My questions were answered. The next site (http://www.s8int.com/page35.html) revealed that many people wrote about this long day or night! The Chinese, the Latins, the Egyptians, the Aztecs of Mexico, the Incas of Peru, the Indians, the Persians, the aborigines in America all had  records or legends about a day that was extended or a time when the sun stood still or when the night did not end for a long time... So there was it, my questions were answered. The sun did stood still and the world saw it. Although science would say that it was the earth that stopped rotating due to a cosmic effect.

in 1950, a Dr Immanuel Velikovsky published a book called "Worlds in Collision" and produced records from all over the earth which agrees as to the time and as to the altered portions of daylight and dark in each area. He went on to explained that if a big enough comet were ever to near the earth, the encounter would slow down the earth's rotational speed, thus causing people at that time who thought  the sun went around the earth to see as if the sun and moon had been halted. Dr Immanuel even went on to say that this cosmic event in Joshua's time was actually the second comet visit already. The first comet visit being during the time when the Isrealites wanted to free themselves from the Egyptians. And so resulting in the plagues and the parting of the sea! He basically used cosmic effects to explain many of the miracles in the Bible.

Coincidence or not, I can only conclude from my reading that God is indeed the Creator of the heavens and the earth. He has the whole world in his hands, therefore he controls the cosmic motions too!


1 comment:

  1. Good one Jou. Its good to be thinking such deep thoughts and have them reaffirm your faith in the Almighty God.

    ReplyDelete